Ever to Love and to Serve
Arrupe Jesuit University invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced persons to fill the following posts that have arisen within the institution:
- UNIVERSITY LIBRARIAN (TWO YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT)
The University Librarian plays a pivotal role in providing library services and facilitating access to information resources for the university community. This position combines strategic leadership, extensive knowledge of library science, and a passion for enhancing the learning and research experience of students, faculty, and staff. The University Librarian will oversee the development and management of the library’s collections, services, and facilities, while fostering a dynamic and inclusive environment that supports academic achievement and lifelong learning.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Planning: Develop and implement strategic goals and initiatives that align with the University’s mission, vision, and academic objectives. Continuously assess and adapt library services to meet evolving user needs and emerging trends in information management.
- Collection Development: Lead the acquisition, organization, and maintenance of the library’s physical and digital collections, ensuring their relevance, comprehensiveness, and accessibility. Collaborate with faculty and departments to support curriculum development and research requirements.
- Information Literacy: Promote information literacy by designing and delivering instructional programs, workshops, and tutorials that empower students and staff members to effectively locate, evaluate, and ethically use information resources. Foster a culture of critical thinking and lifelong learning.
- User Services: Provide exceptional reference and research assistance to library patrons, answering inquiries, guiding information searches, and offering specialized subject expertise. Develop innovative approaches to enhance user experience and ensure equitable access to library resources.
- Library Operations: Oversee the day-to-day operations of the library, including circulation, interlibrary loans, cataloging, and technical services. Collaborate with staff to streamline processes, improve efficiency, and maintain accurate records.
- Technology Integration: Stay abreast of emerging technologies and digital tools relevant to library services. Lead the implementation and integration of technology solutions to enhance access, discovery, and delivery of information resources.
- Collaboration and Outreach: Foster partnerships and collaborations with academic departments, faculty, and campus stakeholders to support research, teaching, and learning initiatives. Engage with the university community through workshops, presentations, and committees to promote library services and resources.
- Budget Management: Develop and manage the library’s budget, allocating resources effectively to support collection development, technology infrastructure, and professional development opportunities.
- Staff Management: Provide leadership, mentorship, and professional development opportunities to library staff. Foster a positive and inclusive work environment that values diversity, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in progressively responsible library positions, including supervisory or managerial roles.
- Strong knowledge of library operations, cataloging systems, and information management principles.
- Familiarity with emerging trends in library science, digital scholarship, and open access initiatives.
- Proficient in utilizing library systems, databases, and digital resources.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to interact effectively with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering information literacy and promoting equitable access to information.
- Strong leadership abilities, including strategic planning, team management, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing technologies and evolving user needs.
- Commitment to professional development and staying current with best practices in librarianship.
- ACADEMIC RECORDS SPECIALIST (TWO YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT)
This specialty covers the process of managing and supporting the creation, maintenance and retention of academic records including, but not limited to, registrations, transcripts, schedules, course descriptions and curriculum records.
The Academic Records specialist primarily supports academic record functions throughout the student life cycle, including student academic actions, registration, enrolment and degree verification, student grades, degree audit, graduation, and transcript requests. Primarily, the incumbent receives, reviews, controls and maintains permanent records of academic transactions to produce complete and accurate student transcripts; processes grade changes and adjustments; responds to a variety of transcript requests.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receives, reviews, controls and maintains transcripts and documents for the academic records of current and former students; processes course grade changes submitted by staff; researches, makes determinations and processes student requests for grade adjustments for repeated courses; determines student eligibility on Academic Renewal petitions; processes petitions for withdrawal including verification of extenuating circumstances and routes for faculty approval; verifies eligibility and processes petitions for credit by exam; updates student records and notifies students of actions taken; maintains a permanent record of transactions regarding academic records for verification and audit.
- Receives, logs, verifies, enters and scans incoming academic transcripts, exam scores and related academic information from other institutions; enters transcript school and course data in the system; receives, confirms and processes transcript and verification requests submitted.
- Receives and processes requests from students for regular and rush transcripts by established deadlines; notifies students of campus debt or other holds on their records and collects payments; follows up on any missing or incomplete data in records; generates and distributes official AJU transcripts; receives, logs and balances transcript fees received; waives transcript fees in allowable circumstances.
- Receives and processes a variety of forms and requests including graduation and transfer certifications, prerequisite verifications, course repetition, course substitutions, academic dismissal, duplicate diploma and others; communicates responses and explanations and provides options to dissatisfied students.
- Compiles and verifies student record data for a variety of purposes; researches and resolves student record issues, conflicts and discrepancies; responds to inquiries and provides information to students, staff, administrators, other institutions and the public on regulations, policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Stays abreast of updates in policies and procedures and current and emerging technologies.
- Complies with University retention policies and maintain appropriate schedule for inactive records.
- May coordinate special events and other functions
- May conduct informational presentations
- Assists with planning and coordination of non-routine projects.
Qualifications and Experience
Any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Three years of increasingly responsible experience involving admissions, student records and/or financial aid processes including experience that provides familiarity with the maintenance of academic records and issuance of official transcripts. The incumbent must have extensive experience in Microsoft Suites – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PHP based school management system, web-driven management system based on database software like MySQL, Oracle, and PostgreSQL. Experience in software programming will be an added advantage.
A first degree in Information Systems and Management or an equivalent from an accredited college or university with coursework in recordkeeping, database management, statistics, business administration or a related field.
Applicants must submit the following: application letter, certified copies of educational certificates, National ID, Birth Certificate and CVs giving full personal information including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications, previous employment and experience, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three (3) referees including emails addressed to:
The Human Resources Officer
Arrupe Jesuit University
16 Link Road
Email applications to email@example.com
Further inquiries or questions about this advert should be directed to Human Resources and Public Relations Officer through the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NB AJU is an equal opportunity employer as stipulated by its non-discriminatory policy